Today we made some Oreos from scratch.
The recipe belongs to My Kitchen Addiction and while I’m not as descriptive as she is, it’s pretty similar. I’m just sharing my experience making it.
from My Kitchen Addiction
Ingredients for Chocolate Wafers:
1 c. (2 sticks) unsalted butter, softened
1 c. sugar
1 tsp. vanilla
2 c. flour
3/4 c. cocoa
1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. salt
Ingredients for yummy white filling:
1/2 c. (1 stick) unsalted butter, softened
2 Tbsp. half and half
1 tsp. vanilla
Pinch of salt
3 c. powdered sugar
Make cookies first.
1. Cream together butter and sugar. Add in egg and vanilla and beat until well combined.
2. In a different, large bowl, stir together the flour, cocoa, baking powder, and salt. Gradually add this mixture to the butter/sugar mixture. Mix on low just until blended.
3. Divide dough in half, shape into disks, and chill for an hour.
4. When dough is chilled, preheat oven to 350.
5. Take one disk out of the refrigerator and roll out on a lightly floured surface. You could using a cutting board, though some people (like me) sort of enjoy making a big mess all over the table. Just make sure it’s clean first. :)
6. Use a cookie cutter to cut out cookies. Small round ones (that look much like the size of a regular Oreo from the store) work well. We used the scalloped edge cookie cutter because our round one is in storage (we brought some and not others…not sure why). I think they turned out just fine with the scalloped one.
7. Bake for 10-12 minutes. Cool completely.
Now for the filling.
1. Combine softened butter, half and half, vanilla and salt.
2. Add powdered sugar gradually, 1/2 c. at a time.
3. Place in a piping bag or ziploc bag with one corner snipped out.
4. Pipe filling on cookie and top with another cookie.